Thursday, July 5, 2012

Brianne's Quilt

Do you ever have one of those days? You know the ones. Where you have to make an emergency run to Walgreens in your sweat pants and you are praying to every god you can think of that you don't run into somebody you know?

I had one of those days last weekend.

Having taught at one of the local high schools, I usually know every kid working the car washes on any given weekend and of course, on that weekend, the weekend of the baggy sweatpants and ridiculous top knot ponytail, there was a car wash at Walgreens. I snuck inside praying no one from the car wash would make eye contact and lure me in. I didn't have the money for a car wash anyway. After I bought what I needed (teething tablets for the baby), I quickly walked past the car washers to my car, but on my way I saw the sign: Car Wash for 6 Year Old with Leukemia.

Really, God? Really?

I got in my car, turned on the air and sat there. I looked like I got into a fight with the garbage disposal. I'm not entirely sure I had brushed my teeth. I definitely didn't have deodorant on. But I couldn't just let this go.

I got out of the car and trudged over to the car wash in my "I-swear-I'll-only-wear-these-to-check-the-mail-in" flip flops. The first person I spoke with was Brianne's grandma and she filled me in on her story. She's a 6 year old little girl. Loves to dance. Full of life. Has leukemia. She's been getting chemo treatments for only three months and the average battle lasts two years. I told her about little Caleb and that I would make Brianne a quilt.

briannes quilt

briannes quilt wrinkled

Briannes quilt rolled

briannes quilt outside

I was having issues with my camera but I wanted to post these anyway so I could get this quilt ready to be delivered.

If you would like more information on Brianne's journey, you can find information at www.briannesbrigade.com.

I am in the process of putting together a blog for Comfort Quilters where you can read the stories and see the quilts we make, but until that blog is created, I feel it's important I share these events with you. It's part of who I am. A large part.

Obviously I was pulled out of my comfort zone and I very nearly didn't get out of my car that day, but I am so glad I did. Sometimes the greatest things can happen when you take a risk, no matter how small.

The blog is under construction, but if you would like to help now, we are collecting fabric donations. Without donations, our little group wouldn't be able to make people like Brianne a quilt. We take all fabric (JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, Designer, quilt shop quality). If you have anything you would like to donate to a good cause, let me know! I've already had a few of my bloggy friends send me some goodies that we have used in our new quilts!

Picking flowers.



Danny

10 comments:

  1. I'm actually in the process of cleaning my sewing room, so am sure I could help you out with some cute brights, glittery fabric and kid prints. Let me know where to send it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for grouchy teething babies xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story. I have stuff to send you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it will ever after be treasured as the lovely donation from the crazy quilt bag lady ;o)

    I have to send you Susan's block for the next round of stitch tease, so remind me nearer the posting time, and I'll stick in some FQs and a pouch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great you got out of the car. I'll have to see what's in my wardrobe, I know there's some fabric stashed away there =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be glad to go thru my stash Danny! Would love to help out by sending one of my "100 quilts for kids" quilts to you this fall. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I have 'met' you Danny. We need more Dannys in the world x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you make the verse blocks yourself with printable fabric? I love that idea!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Seriously. I love them.

Related Posts Plugin