Monday, November 26, 2012

The Traveling PicStitch Blog Hop


Today it's my turn to show off my part of the world for the Traveling PicStitch Blog Hop! Unfortunately, my lovely ASS Guru counterparts (and leaders of this fine hop), Laura of Quokka Quilts and Katy of The Littlest Thistle, decided they would show you MY BACKYARD for their big blog hop trip last month. So, what's a girl to do? Show you the same dirt other people already showed you? Yep. That's what's up.

Source

I live in Gilbert, Arizona as previously mentioned. While I can find oodles of pretty pictures of our town, most of them are heavily edited and lack the overall haze of dirt that covers everything in the desert. Our skies look more white than blue and the beautiful purple/orange/red sunsets are caused by the sunlight trying to pry it's way through the pollution. We have snakes and scorpions and black widow spiders and lots of coyotes and mostly, lots and lots of dirt.

Source

My area is densely populated with an overabundance of track homes and subdivisions. My house looks like every other house on my street. Boring!

Source

But really, we have loads of wonderful people living here. Great schools. City center only 40 minutes away. Tons of shopping. Bike trails. Hiking trails. I couldn't ask to live in a better place.

BUT... since SOME PEOPLE decided to use MY HOME as their "exotic location", I've decided to show you a place we like to visit around the holidays and is "exotic" to me:

The American Midwest. :)

Indiana

It is straight up ridiculous how GREEN everything is there!

I took these photos while on our October family trip to Missouri/Illinois/Indiana. Seeing family is great, but I get especially excited about the change in scenery!

We visited Aunt Brenda's farm where Clara worked on her walking skills:

Indiana

And we made ourselves some homemade ice cream, just like every year!

Indiana

Indiana

Indiana

Indiana

We took advantage of the weather and played outside as much as possible.

Indiana

Indiana

And since we were in the area and the St. Louis Zoo has free admission, we decided to take Clara to see some animals! Animals not hiding in the shade to stay out of the heat. Real animals, like bears (which she proudly screamed when she recognized them!) and seals and penguins. Not the coyotes and cows we show off at the Phoenix Zoo. Oh no. These are animals that you WON'T see walking to your mailbox at night.

St Louis Zoo

St Louis Zoo

She was especially thrilled to see the elephants, since she knows "what the elephant says".

Baby Elephant - St Louis Zoo

And also, she liked picking the gorilla's nose. Save your parenting comments to the end, thanks.

St Louis Zoo

Imagine. Unique homes made with bricks. Lawns that are made of REAL grass (yeah... we have quite a bit of fake grass here). Trees that don't fall over when the wind blows because there has been enough water to help their roots grow deep. Weather cool enough to wear pants AND a sweater! Paradise.

But enough about our vacation. You will be wanting me to get on with the color selection now, I suppose.

Color Palette

I chose the picture of the donkeys, mostly because they were being ridiculous ri-donk-u-lous while I was trying to snap their picture (see what I did there?? Tee hee hee.)

I chose a few fabrics from my stash:

Fabric Pull

...and got to work.

Prep

I decided this should become a pillow and a Christmas present for someone who shall remained unnamed. I didn't actually get around to whipping up the pillowcase, but after more than a week with the flu, I was proud of myself for even getting off my duff long enough to get my hand sewing kit!!

Finished

This little flower is super easy to make and is comprised of 2" diamonds from paperpieces.com who, luckily enough, is offering a little discount for anyone joining in the hop! If you haven't already, head over to paperpieces.com and enter code PAPER20 for 20% off your order.

And please don't forget to play along. This is a blog hop WITH PRIZES! Head over here to check out all the details. The short of it: you follow along, you stitch up some EPP inspired by your home/favorite location, you win prizes. That simple!

Thank you again to my lovely friends Laura and Katy for letting me join them on this great little adventure! These two really are the best people ever. Make sure you take the time to thank them too!

Adios!

Danny

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant post Danny! You are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, my kids would go straight for the nose, too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Love the photos! Bet Erin would like those donkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Erin loves the donkeys! Am so excited you chose that one out of all the fab pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean you don't have camels and giraffes wandering down your street? I thought everyone did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Danny. I live in South Australia, in an area that's probably similar to your Midwest. Hot and dry n summer, but cold and wet in winter. I used to live in part of the state that is like Arizona, hot like hot hot all summer and fairly dry all year round. So I understand dust, flies, and the kind of low mood you can actually get from too much sun! We lived there for 10 years for work, then moved here for work too, back to my home town. What keeps you out in the desert?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
    The pillow is going to look fab too

    ReplyDelete
  8. The grass is always greener...well in your case it literally is! ;) I love that dry, dusty landscape where you live though! It's such a different environment from here and has a rustic beauty all it's own. I've never considered the midwest to be particularly my cup of tea, but your photos are convincing me that I need to get off the interstates and spend some time in the country! I love the colors you pulled and how your block turned out too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to laugh as I was flying into Paris on the way home listening to these 2 teens from Montana who were sitting behind me. One was saying to the other that she loved how green it all was, and how clean and fresh looking. I didn't like to say it was all because it had been chucking it down ;o)

    Anywho, the block's looking great, I just finally finished mine too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Seriously. I love them.

Related Posts Plugin