Sunday, June 3, 2012

I need your help... AGAIN!

First of all, I want to again say THANK YOU from the bottom of my butt to everyone who has offered up a drawstring bag or zippered pouch for the kiddos (or pre-adults) who will be attending Teen Reach Adventure Camp (TRAC). The bags have been trickling in and they look fantastic! I've had a little snafu with Flickr so I will post a picture for you all to see sometime soon.

I wanted to talk you all about a new opportunity to help with this amazing camp.

Teen Reach Adventure Camp is a three day single gender camp for kids ages 12-15 providing a fun-filled, outdoors experience with safe loving adults to help provide an experience that brings hope and encouragement to these hurting teens. For more information on this camp, you can either visit their website here or visit my original blog post here.


We have something extra special planned for the girls this year. We will be hosting a pajama party for them the first night of camp. When the young ladies arrive to their rooms, they will find some up-cycled scrub-bottoms-turned-bedazzled-and-pretty PJs, a handmade zippy pouch filled with make-up and toiletries and now, thanks to a very generous gift from one of my bloggy friends, a fun pillow!

See where I'm going with this??

No?

I need pillowcases!!

Pillows are very important tools. They are snuggly when we're cold, naturally, but they are also our shield when we are uncomfortable; our comfort when we really need to hug; our weapon when we lay down our defense to play with our friends. They collect our tears when we are sad and our screams when we are so excited we just can't hold them in. They are more than just decoration and this is why we are ELATED to have been blessed with such a wonderful gift for our young girls.

The pillows are 20" x 20" and we would like envelope cases for them (meaning no zippers). Unlike the pouches, we have decided each case should be unique, so feel free to use more than one fabric. Use an old quilt block you have been holding on to without any real plans to use. Try a new technique you've been hesitant to try out. Use a solid and draw on it with a bleach pen! Embroider! Piece! Applique! Whatever you like!

As before, I do have some restrictions:

-No holiday fabric
-No macabre fabric (skulls, halloween-ish, the new Nightshade line by Tula Pink... you get the idea)
-Fabrics should be age appropriate. Remember, these are for teenagers. Dancing teddy bears holding bottles and sucking on pacifiers might be cute for your 2 year old niece, but not for our young women campers. Think bright colors. Think modern. Camp fabrics are acceptable as long as they flow with the teenage vibe!
-We are only making pillowcases for the girls, so please no boy-ish fabrics.

Remember, the pillows are 20" x 20"!

Here are a couple tutorials I found for what I'm looking for:

Echinops and Aster PDF and the right size!
Mejia Mamma
Cluck Cluck Sew

The tutorials are NOT for 20" x 20" pillows. Please adapt accordingly.

I need 40 pillowcases and I need them in my hands by no later than Friday, July 6th. I will be making any pillowcases that don't get claimed, giving me a week to get them made, packed up and sent off to camp. Please keep in mind shipping times when deciding to make these. They are super easy; only take 10 minutes to make the basic shape.

If you are willing to make a pillowcase or two (or three or four) for a good cause, please let me know in the comments. I will add your name to the list below and keep it updated. I will cross your name off the list once I receive your pillowcases in the mail.

1. Dona
2. Dona
3. Jenelle
4. Jennifer
5. Jennifer
6. Kelly
7. Kelly
8. Debbie
9. Debbie
10. Cherie
11. Cherie
12. Christin
13. Chrissy
14. Melissa
15. Karin
16. Barbara in TX
17. Barbara in TX
18. Bobbie
19. Bobbie
20. Ellie
21. Steph J
22. Steph J
23. Marion
24. Marion
25. xperimentl
26. xperimentl
27. Mejia Mamma
28. edyB
29. CraftyRider
30.
31. Yonah B
32. Sarah Lou
33. Marit
34. Marit
35. Angie W
36. Angie W
37. Poppy K
38. Poppy K
39. Poppy K
40. Poppy K

Thanks again to all you wonderful, giving people. Even if you can't make a pillowcase, please help me spread the word! Facebook it. Tweet it. Blog it. Email it.

You guys rock!

Danny

29 comments:

  1. I can make one! Also, my Hello Spring Cushion pattern makes a 20" x 20" pillow in case anyone would like instructions to make the pillow to size. You can find the pdf pattern here for free:
    http://echinopsaster.blogspot.com/2012/05/hello-spring-cushion-pattern-now.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll make a few, for sure. Where should I send them to, and how many should I make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can make 2 pillowcases. I'm also making 2 drawstring bags so my goal is to have everything to you in one package by 6/18.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I would be happy to make 2 pillow cases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can make 2 pillow cases for the cause =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be happy to make a pillow case or two. When do you need them? Where should I send them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can get you one by July - please send your mailing addy to me (kcallander989 (at) gmail (dot) com) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be happy to help out and could make one for sure and possibly a second pillow as well. You can contact me at issa dot ino at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy to help - please sign me up for one pillow case! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can definately sign up for 2 and will send any extras I can get made. Send me an email as to where to send them too.

    Barbara in TX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shared! :) My other items are on their way too. I can't wait to hear how the camp goes and the teens enjoy the special treats made just for them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sign me up for a pillowcase! I have just the idea I've been wanting to try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to leave another comment but I don't see my name on the list yet. I can make 2 pillowcases for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I can make two. I am guessing you'll email me you address :) thanks for the opportunity to serve :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grr this comment box does not like me! take two! :P
    I checked out MejiaMamma's tutorial and it is GREAT! She even has how to adjust the pattern size right on the instructions! Where it says 17 change it to 21 and where it says 23 change it to 27- Nice easy math! Now I wann go sew! Unfortunatley I am at work- in the front office and they kinda frown on me bringing my sewing machine to work. :) ( I *can* do hand work though- in fact I am unstitchin' a quilt block today!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found you via Kristy at Hopeful Threads. I'll make two also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please send me an email when you are ready to send them. You are a no-reply blogger, so I was unable to write you back!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Danny. I'll send you an email when they are done. I finished one today and have the plans to make the second tomorrow. I updated my Blogger profile, too, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

      Delete
  19. Hi there! I just found your site through the commenter above (Bobbie), after she thanked me for my pillowcase tutorial - I'm so honored you mentioned mine...and in doing so, I would love to help & provide a pillowcase as well! Here's my email, please send the shipping address:

    mejiamamma@gmail.com

    Thx again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please sign me up for one pillowcase for now. I may be able to do another and if so, I'll let you know.
    I'm happy to find out about this project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found I have enough fabric that would be nice for 1. I will be able to get it made and mailed by the end of this month. Thanks for the opportunity to help out and practice my sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would be happy to make two pillowcases for the cause. Let me know if you need any more and I will make them gladly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can do one, do you think soe summerville Will be ok?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I would love to help out and will make 2 pillows for you. Please send me you address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marit! You are a no-reply blogger so I had no way to email you back. Please send me an email and I can get you my address! Thanks!

      Delete
  25. So excited to help again, Danny. Please sign me up for 2 pillowcases. I have your address from the zip pouch so I will send them to you right away.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Seriously. I love them.

Related Posts Plugin