Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things



I have all the grace of a one legged duck.

My craft room shares a wall with Mazer's nursery and while I thought that was a great idea while pregnant, I'm realizing my lapse in judgement now. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the proceedings of textile crafting, the fabric must be prepped before use and when you have a newborn, the only available "free" time is nap time. I know I should be sleeping when the baby sleeps, but I have been itching to work on my new project. So today during nap time I decided to wash and iron all my new fabric in preparation for the new week; the splendid new week that is going to go perfectly as planned so I can get my sewing on! Daydreams aside, I, of course, tripped over my needy dog who has the incessant urge to roll onto her back just as I am walking by thereby leaving only the wall to catch my fall; the aforementioned wall that housed my sleeping baby on its other side. As you can imagine, Clara woke with a start and screamed for the better portion of an hour. I was determined to get my ironing finished today, so I multitasked as all good mommies learn to do.

But this post is titled "A Few of My Favorite Things" and not "How I Managed to Ruin a Perfectly Wonderful Afternoon". I am a "bright side" person. I am a "roll with the punches" type gal. So, in order to fulfill the tasks I had set out to complete, I combined a few of my favorite things into one productive, sunny day. I strapped Clara into her harness, which satisfied her need to be held and my need to have free hands. Then I spent her nap time (she eventually fell asleep because at that point she was overtired) ironing my new fabrics, drinking my Hansen's Cherry Vanilla Creme soda, and singing loudly to a shuffled playlist of Taylor Swift (consider yourself lucky I didn't captured audio!) As you can see from the picture, I am also wearing my favorite sweat pants, which are far too big for me but have a drawstring and were worn backwards all day. Thank you Grammy and James for visiting and not telling me.

Anyway, all this to say that I feel as though I am starting to get the hang of this "mommy" thing. Every day I am able to complete more of the items on my To Do list, and while I still have my share of blunders, I think I am turning out to be a pretty awesome mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Seriously. I love them.

Related Posts Plugin