It's been a couple weeks and we are still fighting this monster of a cold, so I've decided to share the pictures with you now. Who knows?! Their new little lady could be ten years old before I'm well enough to visit again!! Sheesh!
My friend chose these sunny prints from Michael Miller Citron/Gray. I LOVE that daisy print. She has such fabulous taste.
I made piping to make the tops of the bumpers look more clean and neat. I measured the crib before installing the ties to make sure they would end up in the perfect spot. I have store bought (clearance, no less) bumpers and they are AWEFUL. None of the ties line up with the bars on the crib and there are about a million of them on each piece of the bumper. Such a pain when I have to change the sheets!
The bumpers are made with 2" foam I bought at Jo-Ann. I used the Crib Bedding 101 tutorial from Elle Apparel. I had the pleasure of meeting LeAnne at Sewing Summit this year, and yes: she is just as BEAUTIFUL and even more kind than she seems on her blog. Such a wonderful person.
The only problem I ran into with the tutorial was that the foam measurement was incorrect. Make sure you do the math before buying/cutting the foam. I had to go back to the store to purchase more!!
I loved the foam bumpers because they fit together in the crib like puzzle pieces. Very snug and padded so there will be no dents in her little baby's head!
The sheets were a little baggy, I felt like. My friend thought they were fine. I used a tutorial I found over at Prudent Baby. If I ever make crib sheets again, I will use extra-wide fabric and sew in an elastic casing all the way around the hem, not just in the corners, like I had to do for these sheets.
It took me a total of 14 hours to make the bedding, though I suspect with time and practice that time could be diminished a bit. It was a great experience and a very rewarding project.